Monday, March 10, 2014

It all Boils Down to Love

                          
                         We learned how to make tamales this week!
 
 
So this week was a little slow for us, full of tracting and finding, but the Lord has blessed us with some incredible miracles. That being, we found 2 new families to teach! YAY!!! Families are the best! Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers to have the Lord continue to help prepare them to accept the gospel. Thanks! :)
 
Speaking of families...we took a little time this week to do some family history and I found some awesome stuff! I found the stories of the people mom told me about who knew Joseph Smith and kept reading more about them and on that line. There is some seriously amazing information in there! Some of them got their patriarchal blessings from Hyrum Smith, some were imprisoned for defending Joseph...whoo! Sooo cool!! Found out that one of our ancestors (I think his name is John Taylor) was one of the 20 men picked to be Joseph's bodyguard. And guess what? One of Hermana McOmber's relatives also was one of them. And then Hermana Burnham's relatives knew Joseph too, so we're thinking that they all knew each other! How cool that they were working together to help others come to Christ's church, and here the three of us are today doing the exact same thing. And again, SO COOL!!!! Also read that Alma Taylor could jump 22 feet in the air and 11 feet backwards. I'm thinking that might be a typo...unless there's a superhero in the family! haha I think he was a pretty rad guy though... check out this quote from his obituary: "His eye was the index of his strong character and Indians were conquered when they looked into his steel gray eyes." Whoo! Go Alma! So that was awesome for me to read about and I am definitely going to keep reading more about all of them.
 
This week I have made one of my goals to pray for charity every day. How am I going to be able to develop it if I'm not asking for the Lord's help in doing so? So I decided to follow Moroni's counsel:
 
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, apray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true bfollowers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall cbe like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be dpurified even as he is pure. Amen.
 
It has been such a humbling and incredible experience for me to see how the Lord is helping me learn this. There have been multiple things that have happened to me this week where my love has just grown for certain people because of their experiences or them confiding in me for something. One example being one of my favorite people that we visit.  She is going through some really hard things right now in her life. The land lords of their trailer park posted notices last week that the park is closing down and everyone has to be moved out--trailer and all--by March 31. How awful is that, right? The situation is super complicated, but she has, for a lack of better words, been abandoned to find her own house and everything. It's a tough situation. We were able to visit with her last night and read some really powerful scriptures with her about pushing through tribulation with faith in Christ. I truly felt such a pure love for her, I don't know how to explain it. More than anything I just want to be able to take all of the hard things away for her, but at the same time I know it's necessary for her to pass through. Perhaps we can't take it away, but we can help her remember to turn to her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ for strength. I felt so much love for her in those moments and was overcome by it. Even though I may not be able to describe significantly how I feel in words, if I do it with love that is all that matters. That's why it all boils down to love. If love is the motivating factor behind what I am trying to express, then I thing it will come across effectively. So after the experiences that I have had this week, I think I am one step closer to understanding how I can develop charity. I've still got soooo much work to do, but that's why I'm here serving a mission! Hopefully I can figure it all out eventually, but yet again, life is a learning process! So I'm going to end today with a quote by President Monson.
 
"Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other may we have the PURE LOVE OF CHRIST for our fellow travelers in this journey through life."


                                One of my very favorite families!

Have a good week! Love you all!
 
xoxo Hermana Hoj
 
p.s. love love love love love

No comments:

Post a Comment