Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The halfway mark in Mexico!

  Sep 17, 2013
Hola! How are you all this fine week? Mom, sorry you probably have been hitting that refresh button a whole lot today. We went to the temple again! So that's why I haven't emailed until now. We didn't get back until later this afternoon and the internet had problems earlier this morning. So to first address all your questions and comments from the last email...Yes, I have to wear that stupid brace and flip flops. haha walking around in flip flops when it is wet is awful though, I slide all over! But, yes I am indeed the only person here wearing flip flops. I would say that I want other shoes, but I think I'm just going to have to wait until I get to Texas because I have no idea how long it takes to get packages here. Letters take about 14 days to get here. So I wrote you last Tuesday and it wasn't too bad, but I played soccer with a bunch of people after I emailed you (which by the way was so so much fun) and my achilles was killing me. I would turn and have an awful stinging and aching pain up the tendon and couldn't even walk in any shoes. So I went to the Doctor they have here, and thank goodness, he spoke English. He told me that I have achilles tendonitis and that there's a possibility that the tendon was beginning to splay from the heel bone and if I kept playing on it that it could rupture, my calf would roll up inside my leg, and I'd be sent home...so...I can't do anything but sit ups and push ups basically. But you all know I'm not a fan of pushups...so we'll see if I get around to that. I still go to the gym in the mornings and do sit ups or things with the resistance band the Ferences gave me (thank you!!!!) or weights. So I'm trying to still be a healthy happy person. It kind of stinks because I want to play soccer or go run but it's okay, I just hope it gets better soon. And I feel really grateful that I went in when I did because I honestly felt that if I had played more the next day it would've been a gonner. It hurt that bad. So I am very grateful I am getting it taken care of.  So let's get away from the bummer part of the week and get to all the happy stuff! The water has not had problems this week, so that's been good! Mi compañera and I had to move rooms yesterday though. One of the girls who was supposed to leave this week wasn't able to so she got put in a trio with our other room mates and we just moved next door with the two Hermanas from our district. So luckily it wasn't too bad of a move! I did overpack though, which I always tend to do, so when I get to Houston I'll be sending some stuff back home.  I'm glad Dev's talk went well I really wish I could've been there! Tell her to send me a copy of her talk por favor! And Hermana Pack from my district is from Des Moines, so tell Devyn this news! 40 new areas just opened in Des Moines, and they just got new mission presidents! The Jensens are their names. He spoke in her home ward so her mom told her this...there are 72 sisters there and 280 elders, but it is supposed to go up to 50% sisters! Whoo! I think that is so amazing, this work just keeps on growing! Tell Hannah to email me too! I misplaced her email but I want to hear from her! Anyways, now a little something about my week. We did indeed recognize 9/11 here, drew an American flag on our whiteboard (with all 50 stars and all 13 stripes) and sung the National Anthem! So even though we are in Mexico, we still appreciate our country! Oh, and guess what!? I ROLLED MY R'S!!! haha I was so excited!! It doesn't sound very good and I can't put it in words yet, but hopefully it can come with practice. Such a monumental moment in my life, you should have seen how excited I was. Apparently it sounds like a baby dinosaur though... ??? I don't even know how someone can know what that sounds like! Aside from that, I'll be honest, I was a little down at the beginning of this week. With the whole achilles tendon thing and then we had two lessons that just did not go well at all. I was so frustrated and unprepared for the lessons and had to take a step back and adjust the way we were teaching. The same day we had that awful lesson we practiced teaching one another in our district about prayer in English, and holy cow I felt so so good about it! I just knew exactly what to say and the Spirit guided me so well. My teacher came up to me after and told me I was a talented teacher so that made me feel better too. I just cannot even wait for the day when I can speak Spanish like I can English. That night I really prayed for some help. I really wanted to be able to teach a lesson with a strong presence of the Spirit and figure out why our lessons weren't going well. And wow were my prayers answered. The next day we taught our investigator Kaya and at the end I had a really strong prompting to share an experience. I hadn't prepared at all in Spanish and I had no idea how I was going to say it, but I just started crying. The Spirit hit me so hard and even though I couldn't tell it well in Spanish, I got my point across and the Spirit was felt. My companion doesn't cry, and I even got her to cry! It was exactly what I needed, and proof to me that even though there is this HUGE language barrier, the Spirit can knock that right down. I was so grateful that I could share something from my heart to help our investigator. That was definitely the turning point for me this week, and the week has gone so much better since then. We figured out what we need to do to improve our lessons, and we continually learn from them! The Lord is so mindful of us, and I am amazed by the blessings he allows me to have.
Saturday was a party. Literally a fiesta!! We got to watch a big show here at the CCM for Mexican Independece Day! (And no, it is not on Cinco de Mayo). There were cultural dances, songs, and fireworks! It was so exciting. The Mexico MTC is the best MTC. And Sunday as usual was awesome. All my lessons were so great and so full of the Spirit, and I am continually blown away by how much I still have to learn! I know nothing! We listened to Elder Holland for devo, and watched the Joseph Smith movie! Speaking of Joseph Smith, that is so cool about the family history! Did he really know him, or just live in the same place? And maybe that's why I'm headed to Texas! I've got some long lost relatives to find! Later that night, Presidente Pratt let us stay up past our bedtime (which NEVER happens, so like I said the Mexico MTC is the best MTC) and watch the President of Mexico give his speech for Independence Day through a broadcast. It's a big deal here, they shoot of fireworks and pistols, and we all shout VIVA!! VIVA MEXICO!!! It was a super cool experience and I'm lucky I got to be here for it! Wow, sorry my letter is all over the place this week. But holy cow, I AM HALFWAY DONE WITH MY TIME HERE. How did that happen?! People were right, days feel like weeks and weeks feel like days. I think it's going to be really sad leaving the CCM. I'm really enjoying the time I have here. But I am excited out of my mind for Texas!! Missions are the best, and I feel so blessed to be a part of one. I am learning so much and am trying hard to be a better teacher, friend, daughter, sister, and person everyday. I'm so so so lucky to have this experience, I don't even know how to explain it except for the word Joy. Pure Joy in serving the Lord and bringing others to Him. Just like Ammon, my joy is full! (Alma 26) I am loving everyday I have as a missionary, whether it is hard or whether it is the best day ever. The Lord continually blesses us, and I often feel unworthy of all the amazing blessings I have. You all included! I love you so much and can't wait to write you again next week!
 
Con amor,
 
Hermana Hoj
                                                    Hermana Hoj and Hermana Howell
                                                
                                                 All the Hermanas in my District







");



No comments:

Post a Comment